Here are a few helpful procedures for troubleshooting tape backup problems under Linux.
- First, test the tape drive by attempting to rewind the tape:
mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
- If there are no problems issuing the rewind command, you’ll be returned to the command prompt.
- If there are any issues, you will be presented with a descriptive error message.
- Next, try to perform a manual backup of a few small files:
tar -czvpf /dev/st0 /etc
- If there are no problems performing the test backup, you’ll see a number of files scroll by and then be returned to the command prompt.
- If there are any issues, you will presented with a descriptive error message.
- If there were errors with either of the above tests, please run the Dell Hardware diagnostics
Here are some common errors you may see with tape drives under Linux:
- Tape has been marked as write-protected or read-only:
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: Read-only file system tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now