To calculate runtime and capacity, UPS vendors provide a number of useful tools:
- Login as root using PuTTY
- Set the appropriate terminal type:
- Launch Powerchute:
- You can use Control G to access the menus, arrow around to move, use the spacebar to select a value
If you have an APC UPS with a network card, we recommend using the PowerChute Network Shutdown software provided and supported by APC.
Before getting started, download and review the PowerChute Network Shutdown documentation.
Download the software from APC’s website: PowerChute Network Shutdown v2.2.4 for Linux
mkdir /esupport/powerchute && cd /esupport/powerchute wget -c ftp://restrict:Kop\$74\!@ftp.apc.com/restricted/software/pcns/224/linux/pcns224Linux.tar.gz tar xzf pcns224Linux.tar.gz ./install.sh
Answer the questions as prompted. Here is an example of the installation process:
- Do you accept the license agreement? yes
- Enter the PCNS instance number: 1
- Enter the installation directory: [ENTER] to accept default value of /opt/APC/PowerChute
- Are you sure? yes
- Enter the java directory? [ENTER] to use the included version of Java
Run the configuration script:
cd /opt/APC/PowerChute/group1/ ./PCNSConfig.sh
You’ll be prompted to answer a series of questions. Here is an example of the configuration process:
- Select the local IP address? 1
- Select the netmask: [Enter] to select the default (255.255.255.0)
- Select the type of configuration: : Configure for a single UPS device
- Management card IP: 192.168.1.101
- Management card port: 80
- Administrator user name: apc
- Administrator password: apc
- Authentication phrase: batterybackupsrule
- Do you wish to register these settings? Yes
If you have a Dell UPS, we recommend using the Dell UPS Management Software software provided and supported by Dell.
Download the software CD image from Dell’s website: DELL_MULTI-DEVICE_A05_R276438.exe
Follow Dell’s instructions for extracting the CD image:
1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled DELL_MULTI-DEVICE_A05_R276438.exe.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R276438. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R276438 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
After extracting the CD image, burn the C:\dell\drivers\R276438\Dell_Software_A05.iso image file to CD using your favorite tool. Windows 7 has a built-in disc image burning tool, or you may use InfraRecorder. Regardless of which software you choose to use, make sure you burn the file as disc image, rather than simply copying the file to a data CD.
Once the CD has been inserted into your Linux server, launch the setup program:
cd /misc/cd/LinuxAMD64 ./setup.bin
Once the Dell UPS Management Software has been installed, you may access it via its GUI interface.
To contact Dell for hardware support or software configuration questions: How do I contact Dell for technical support?